When analyzing the effectiveness of email campaigns, Campaign Monitor found that: organizations are 6x more likely to get a click-through due to an email campaign than a Tweet, and that for every $1 spent, email marketing generates nearly $40 in ROI.
Take advantage of these benefits and attract a steady stream of clients to your law firm using the three tips below. With practice, you will be well on your way to mastering the art of email marketing and increasing your caseload.
- Understand how to use email marketing to convert clients
Email marketing won’t lure business into your law firm unless you make a conscious effort to develop campaigns that convert readers into clients. That means prompting email recipients to take action of some sort, such as:
- Clicking on a call to action
- Calling or emailing your law firm
- Participating in a contest
- Taking advantage of a promotion
- Connecting on social media
- Sharing your email
- Filling out a survey
Of course, that doesn’t mean that your emails must come off as salesy. Not at all—your law firm’s email marketing strategy should actually avoid pursuing the hard sell. Instead, they should provide value to your audience, whether that be in the form of great content or suggestions of free resources that you think they’ll be interested in (for instance, if the recipient previously attended a webinar about filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy, you could send them an email that includes a link to five case studies from companies who filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy).
Overall, your law firm’s email marketing strategies should accomplish a specific goal like:
- Convert leads into clients
- Maintain positive relationships with clients and keep them engaged
- Urge current and past clients to refer your services
- Build your social media following in order to attract further strangers who can be converted into leads
- Gather information and data that can inform your marketing strategy
Don’t get so caught up in producing content and scheduling campaigns that you forget why you’re sending out emails in the first place: to push business down the sales funnel.
- Build an email list of the right recipients
Why waste your time on appealing to the wrong people—people who don’t fit your target client profile? Even if they do end up becoming clients, they won’t be ideal clients and will only detract from others who could be more profitable for your law firm.
Do the right thing for your law firm’s email marketing strategy from the beginning and appeal to the right recipients.
These are the people who:
- Fit your ideal demographic: they are local, make enough money to afford your services, etc.
- Engage with your brand: for instance, they read your law firm’s blog, download free resources from your website, attend webinars, or open emails
If you’ve built a list of disengaged recipients, it’s time to purge your list. Don’t be afraid to send unsubscribe emails, where you say something like “We see that you’re opening our emails. If we’re bugging you, feel free to unsubscribe by clicking the link below! The last thing we want to do is clutter your inbox.”
Many law firms are hesitant to lose recipients but in reality, it’s better to pare down your email list to only engaged or promising contacts so you don’t kill your open rate and experience problems with your email server.
After clearing out your email list…
- Employ lead magnets to appeal to targeted leads
- Work to get your law firm white-listed with each recipient so your emails go straight to their inbox
- Develop campaigns that appeal to each type of recipient
- Develop campaigns, not one-off emails
Even inconsistent email marketing is better than none, but employing drip email campaigns is much more effective than one-off messages sent here and there. Drip campaigns are basically message sequences that nurture leads up to, and through, the sales ready point by providing relevant information at specific touchpoints.
These touchpoints could include downloading resources from your website, consulting your law firm, signing up for your email list, etc. The possibilities for drip email campaigns are endless, from re-engagement campaigns designed to reconnect with cold contacts to promotional campaigns designed to draw attention to limited time offers.
The appeal of drip campaigns versus one-off emails is multifold:
- They nurture leads slowly by consistently keeping in touch with recipients, ensuring that your law firm is always top of mind
- They provide customized, relevant information to readers in snackable bits
- They can adapt to clients’ behavior in real time; for instance, if a recipient doesn’t open a specific email, they will be routed to a different campaign that may appeal to them more
- They can be https://jamesattorneymarketing.com/marketing-automation-software/
Just don’t forget to tailor your law firm’s email marketing to each segment of your list, such as engaged former clients, disengaged/cold recipients, new leads, or sales ready contacts. Your law firm will experience a much higher success rate as well as happier recipients.
Need expertly crafted email drip campaigns and effective lead magnets?
Try the James Legal CRM, which typically saves clients $500 to $1,200 per month!